Thursday, December 4, 2008

cleansing

Could it be that the enemy has it out for us so badly that he will take lies and make them so apart of our DNA that we cant even visualize what our life would be like should we break free from them? I think the answer is absolutely.

I don't travel a lot. I'd love to but dont really get the opportunity. I've been on just one trip really... but it was a good one. I got to go to the UK. It was December of 2005 - the day after Christmas, and I'm boarding a plane for an overseas trip. As a non-traveler, I didnt really know how to pack. So I packed somewhat lightly. It wasnt just an overnight stay - and I wasn't exactly thinking about the weather over there... winter... England... ouch. I live in Houston - our winters are about 65 degrees. You get my point. The term "winter coat" to me consists of a sweatshirt hoodie. I had checked one bag, and brought a carry on suitcase... sorta small... it even had wheels! :)
Anyway, I found out that I had a 3 hour layover in Newark when I landed there. So my bright idea was to take the train to Manhattan since I had never been before... i had time, right? So all goes well and I make it to the Big Apple and i clearly wasnt thinking about my stupid carry on bag that I now had to drag behind me all over the streets of NYC... the whole 'try to blend in' thing wasnt working for me. for 2 hours im dragging this suitcase behind me wherever i go... ugh. needless to say, i didnt really get to enjoy my layover one bit.

I say all of that to say this:
what is the unnecessary baggage we continue to carry with us, day in and day out, that is effecting our life to the point of disappointment?

For me, it has been lies from the enemy that ive carried with me for years - lies that have stunted my growth and my ability to enjoy life to its fullest. If our Lord came to give us abundance of life, how can we fully become alive carrying this extra baggage?
And the truth is, i dont think you can. if we have a thief that comes to rob us of our joy, and if Jesus says that He comes to restore joy... then we have to face the liar head on.

This is what God has to say:
Being clean comes from redemption.

And i've said it before, and ill say it again... there is a certain freedom in getting your feelings of redemption from God and not other people.

No comments: