Thursday, April 21, 2011

Maundy Thursday

I didn't grow up in church.
I think that's why I can love the church as much as I do.  :)
I believe in the power of the local church and believe she has a power through her Husband that nobody else has.
I recently accepted a position at a church outside of Ft. Worth as the Creative Director, which this particular church has never seen before.
I get to pioneer a creative movement to further the Kingdom and tell the story of Christ in a way that reaches every heart in the room, and beyond.
(no pressure, right?)

The way I see it, we (I can speak for the local church, right?) have 53 opportunities to communicate the Gospel in a corporate environment. That's 52 weekend opportunities, and throw in an extra for Christmas. One of those weekends happens to be a slightly "bigger deal" than the others... and it's happening this weekend.

In the church world, we refer to it as our Super Bowl Sunday.
We all of a sudden realize that we have an opportunity here to impact a larger group of people than we typically see. It's socially acceptable to attend church that day, when you wouldn't be caught dead in one otherwise.

The church starts talking about what Easter (salvation, redemption, love, the cross, the tomb being empty, etc...) means to the world and why we are suddenly ok with getting paid a slightly bit less than what the corporate world would pay for such raw talent.  :)

When people can understand the amount of power the resurrection has for their lives, everything changes.
When the story of Easter comes alive in you and in me, everything begins to come out of grey and into color...


(This is where I'll try to avoid my rant about how EVERY week should be an Easter Experience for the church and if we don't view it as such, WE. MISS. IT.)

So, here we are, leading into our Easter Experience for the weekend where rehearsals, run-throughs, extra work and quick snacks are the norm - but I can tell you this:
I don't want to miss one moment of this... One moment of Jesus. One moment of this week that is Holy.

Today is Maundy Thursday... and if you're like me, you don't really know what's so maundy about Thursday, or what maundy even means...
Maundy Thursday commemorates the day of the Last Supper of Jesus and gets its name from the Latin word mandatum, which means "commandment."
Near the end of the Last Supper, He said to His disciples, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

So today, we celebrate a day about love.
Our God is love. That's our God.

No comments: