Wednesday, November 5, 2008

risk takers

"Is - is he a man?" asked Lucy.
"Aslan a man!" said Mr. Beaver sternly. "Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-beyond-the-Sea. Don't you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion - the Lion, the great Lion."
"Ooh!" said Susan, "I'd thought he was a man. Is he - quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."
"That you will, dearie, and no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver; "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly."
"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."

The average man does not want to be free, he wants to be safe.

Freedom requires decision making, soul searching, and risk taking. And if you do it right, my guess is that those things won't come easy for you. The thing about safety is that usually all it requires is comfort.

Every time you say no to God - you change a little. Your heart gets a little harder. Your spirit dies a little. Your addiction to comfort gets a little stronger.

What really matters when God calls you to do something is not whether or not you feel inadequate. Of course you will; you are inadequate. So am I. That's why God promises to go with us, What matters is your decision. Only people who say yes to challenge, demand, and risk are ever fully alive.

One truth about us is that we forget we are going to die... another truth is that we forget we are alive.

I want to leave the world a little changed. When it's time to go, I would like for someone to say, "My life is a little richer, my world is a little bigger, I'm a better person because this human being walked the planet awhile. She made a difference. She changed my life."

Lord, in everything that I do, I want to see Your options for my life over any other. I want to be able to take risk and challenge as gifts from You to grow me into the person and the character that You have designed me to be from before the world was created. Please don't pass me by.

No comments: