Friday, January 16, 2009

pass it on

you've heard the phrase, "be the change you want to see in the world" right?

so i decided to start the pass it on movement again today. i was driving around running some errands, and thought i should stop for a bite to eat... mama was craving a taco. so i pull through taco bells drive thru (great quality, i know) and it hit me. i need to be doing more for the people that i claim to have a passion for: people.

so i pull around, and as i was handing the employee my money, i told her to let me pay for the girls order behind me. all im saying is thank God i decided to do this at taco bell and not perry's. the drive thru worker asked, sorta hesitantly, if i knew her. i told her no but that if i could have any part in somebody else having a good day that i wanted to do it. she closed the window and came back with my straw and soda (which, might i add, is too large for my little cup holders... theyve gotta do something about that) and i went on my merry little way.

part of me really wishes i stuck around to see her face when she was told that she could put her money away... and to see how happy it might have made her feel. i wonder if she decided to 'pass it on' to the car behind her... and so on and so on.

i heard about somebody doing this a while back at a Starbucks, and how it went on for a couple hours or something like that. and to think - it had to start with just one person deciding to do it. i honestly, truthfully, just wanted to have the opportunity to play a part in making somebody's day a little bit better. i hope my goal was accomplished.

i am reminded of the words of my Healer when He said that whatever I did for the least of these I really did for Him. I want to live my life with that in the forefront of my brain. To give myself away. To give love away. its my calling and i think its yours too. How do we love? Not in big things, but in small things with great love.

So with all of that being said, I hope Jesus liked his tacos today. Or do you think He's more of a nachos bell grande guy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carly, I love the way God is enlaringing your view and giving you His joy in small things. If only we saw that many of the things we think of as "small" have His fingerprints all over them. How many times does a grocery store checker or a waitress need someone just to look them in the eyes and see them. I agree with you. Help us to be Jesus to this world. Help us to truly Love when it is just an offering to Him but gets us nothing in return. Oh, this is Julie, by the way. I never can get signed in right. :)